Stay Cool with Frozen Fruits
By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
August 16th, 2019
Frozen fruits and vegetables provide the same nutrients and health benefits as their fresh counterparts. Frozen fruits and vegetables are simply fresh ones that have been flash-frozen at their peak ripeness. Stay cool this summer with these tasty gems….
- The contrast of Welch’s frozen sweet and sour cherries with blueberries, sliced strawberries and blackberries is one force to be reckoned with!
- A perfect balance of antioxidant goodness! Rich in Vitamin C and a Good Source of Fiber, only one taste and you’ll wonder just how did you ever bake without them before?
- Packed and loaded with flavor this blend is a guaranteed win with family and friends! Adorned in purple the color of nobility, our Welch’s frozen Antioxidant Blend guarantees you are in fact indulging in nature’s riches!
- Add frozen fruits to smoothies, muffins, cakes, oatmeal, beverages and much more!
Did you know?
According to the Food and Drug Administration, frozen fruits and vegetables provide the same nutrients and health benefits as their fresh counterparts. Frozen fruits and vegetables are simply fresh ones that have been flash-frozen at their peak ripeness.
Be sure to select frozen fruits and vegetables that are free of extra sauces, fats or sugars. Choose the plain-Jane variety with no extras no the side.
Very Berry Granola Bars
Frozen fruits are the perfect fit for this recipe making it a whole lot easier to do! Bring your kids in for this project and you may find them licking the bowl!
Makes: 18 bars
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 3 cups Welch’s® Antioxidant or Four Berry Mix Frozen Fruit Blend, thawed
- 5 cups oatmeal (quick cook oats)
- 1 cup apple sauce (used unsweetened)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease a 9”x13” baking pan with cooking spray.
- Add oatmeal in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, add apple sauce, milk, honey, cinnamon and butter. Stir well.
- Add wet ingredients to oatmeal and mix well.
- Press half of oatmeal mixture into prepared pan using the back of a spoon or your fingers.
- Top with Welch’s Antioxidant or Four Berry Mix Frozen Fruit Blend and spread evenly in pan.
- Add remaining oatmeal mixture to the fruit and press gently together.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Recipe: Welch’s® Frozen fruit